Where to Stay in Guyana
Guyana has quite a few hotels of various classes, resorts, guesthouses, and B&Bs (bad nad breakfasts) to choose from. Below is a list of just a few of them, which may help you navigate, or if necessary, contact them directly to clarify prices, conditions and reservations.
Prices are different everywhere, I will give you average values:
- Deluxe Junior Suite – $140.
- Standard Room – $60
- Budget room – $25
- B&B – $40
As I have already written, tourism in Guyana is very underdeveloped. If you want to stay in the capital, Georgetown, it is still possible to find some semblance of a hotel type “Three Star”, the country is very poor and no one makes serious investments in tourism development. Everything is at the amateur level.
Hotels are mostly small, private. Often without hot water and air conditioning. Although to count on an air conditioner in number as a salvation from heat, it is not necessary in any case. The country often has problems with electricity, and several times a day there are blackouts (when the electricity is completely cut off everywhere). But Georgetown has a central water supply. However, do not drink the water from the tap.
Advice on choosing a hotel is pointless, it all depends on your price criteria.
If you want to go to the jungle, then there and certainly you will find only resorts, which, however, too, will be called a hotel. Keep in mind that in the jungle there is no centralized electricity and running water. This means that water is collected for household needs rainwater, drinking water is purchased in bottles. Electricity is produced by the generator, which the owners, as a rule, turn off at night in order to save money. Accordingly, the air conditioners will not be.
You will be saved from mosquitoes only mosquito nets and from the stuffiness of the open windows.
In any case, when choosing a hotel, first of all be guided by your plans. What kind of holiday you are more interested in. If ecotourism, of course, choose at once the resort in the jungle. If history and culture of Guyana, the city hotels. There is no subway here, of course, so count on your feet and a cab, which are very inexpensive here. If you want to get around town on foot and get into the spirit of Guyana, choose a hotel closer to the center of town.
Regarding the location of Georgetown, the most convenient option is the Pegasus Hotel. And not far from the center and the maximum by Guyanese standards of amenities. You can get around all the sights on foot.
Top 9 hotels in Georgetown
The three-star Opus Hotel, with a bar and terrace, is located in Georgetown. It features a restaurant, a 24-hour front desk, and free Wi-Fi throughout. Food and drinks can be delivered to your room.
Price from $80
- Location is great, convenient for local transportation
- First the staff is very welcoming and helpful in ordering taxis when needed
- Very comfortable bed and pillows
- Housekeepings are great
- The chair and table in the room not comfortable if want to sit longer
- No lift facilities difficult to handle luggages
The Guyana Marriott Guyana
The Guyana Marriott, with its outdoor pool, modern fitness center, unique accommodations and scenic views of the Demerara River, is located a few meters from Georgetown’s downtown area.
Price from $380
- The staff is always willing to help
- Breakfast and location were OK
- Lovely pool
- Beautiful surroundings
- There are way too many house flies in the room
- Menu prices are mentioned only on local currency
El Dorado Inn Guyana
El Dorado Inn is located in Georgetown. It offers free Wi-Fi in all areas and a bar.
El Dorado Inn is 41 km from Cheddi Jagan International Airport.
Price from $78
- The property is very spacious and clean.
- The staff was amazingly attentive and friendly
- Late check-in and arranging a late check-out
- The close proximity to shopping areas
- They do not have meals or snacks and bar
- WiFi signal could be stronger
- No elevator
Cara Lodge Guyana
Housed in a colonial-style building from the 1840s, Cara Lodge is just a 10-minute walk from the National Zoo of Guyana. The U.S. Embassy is less than 2 km away. Ogle Airport can be reached in 15 minutes by car.
Price from $155
- The place is very quiet
- Staff is great
- Place wasn’t far away from town
- You can easily get a taxi from right in the hotel
- Breakfast and the restaurant are not up to the same standards
- A little bit of updating required
- It is a bit pricey
- A bit noisy if staying in a room overlooking the bar
King’s Hotel & Residences Guyana
King’s Hotel & Residences with a bar is located in Georgetown. It features a restaurant, a 24-hour front desk, and free Wi-Fi throughout. King’s Hotel & Residences serves an à la carte or full English/Irish breakfast.
Price from $150
- Very clean and modern day style
- Close by to city activities
- Price value
- The Bistro restaurant and bar downstairs was amazing
- No pool
- No elevators but the bell boy carries your bags
The Ocean Spray International Hotel Guyana
The Ocean Spray International Hotel is a great choice for visitors to Georgetown. Ocean Spray International Hotel rooms have air conditioning, a refrigerator, and a kitchenette. Getting online is always easy with free Wi-Fi.
- Great service
- Good location
- Clean room
- Breakfast served every morning.
- Wi-Fi signal is strong.
- Common areas on each floor overlooking the ocean.
- No soundproofing.
- No elevator.
- Same meals for breakfast
ParkVue Hotel Guyana
The romantic little ParkVue Hotel will let you experience Georgetown in the best way possible. It also features a pool and complimentary breakfast. Free parking is an added convenience for guests. Given its close proximity to popular attractions such as the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (0.9 km) and St. Andrew’s Kirk (1.1 km)
- The food is very good
- Location is just fine
- Customer service was nice
- The bar is very expensive and small selection.
- Wi-Fi is very slow.
- Very thin walls
- Very close to the stadium so all the activities are heard clearly and distinctly
Grand Coastal Hotel
A 3 star hotel (Georgetown) with an outdoor pool and restaurant
Price from $115
- Nice hotel and excellent staff;
- Attentiveness of the staff on the comfort that they offer
- Close to Ogle Airport
- amazing interior destinations
- Not far from Georgetown
- Furniture needs to be updated
- Floors and sidings were dusty
Pegasus Hotel Guyana
Pegasus Hotel Guyana is a great choice for those visiting Georgetown. It is a good combination of value for money, comfort and convenience, a family atmosphere, and services designed to make your stay here a very pleasant one. Given its close proximity to popular attractions like Cheddi Jagan Research Centre (0.3 km) and St. Andrew’s Kirk (1.5 km), guests of Pegasus Hotel Guyana will have no trouble visiting some of Georgetown’s most famous sites.
- The poolside restaurant and housekeeping staff are friendly and knowledgeable.
- The food isexcellent
- Rich breakfast buffet is included in the room rate.
- there may be water problems in the hotel